With me today is Dr. Kirstin Ferguson, who is one of Australia’s most prominent leadership experts, an award-winning author, columnist, and company director. We’re talking today about Kirstin’s philosophy that everyone is a leader, whether they know it or not and how to be a modern one.
Kirstin’s incredible career includes three decades of leadership experience, including a previous appointment by the Australian Prime Minister as acting chair and deputy chair of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Having spent nearly 10 years as an officer in the Royal Australian Air Force, Kirstin has dedicated her whole life to thinking and writing about leadership and I’m so thrilled to be speaking with her today.
In this conversation, we’re diving into the principles in Kirstin’s second book, Head & Heart: The Art of Modern Leadership and the inspiration that led her to write it. Described by New York Times bestselling author, Adam Grant, as a timely, actionable book on the virtues that every leader needs to learn, there is so much wisdom that Kirstin has to share on this topic of leadership.
Kirstin and I are so aligned in our passions, beliefs and theories about leadership. We talk about:
- The importance of being a leader of self.
- How everyone is a leader, whether they know it or not. It doesn’t matter what your job title is or where you sit on an organisational chart.
- Why ‘the smartest person in the room syndrome’ is our biggest blocker
- What modern Leadership is – knowing what attributes of the head and the heart to use at any one time.
- The idea that leadership is simply a series of moments and every moment gives you the opportunity to leave a positive legacy for those around you.
I know you’re going to gain so much value from this conversation today. Make sure you get yourself a copy of Kirstin’s book, which is available to order now.