Mindset—understanding you’re always stronger than you think you are, can always dig even deeper and find the positive—is your superpower if you want it to be. I found this out the hard way when I was diagnosed with cancer and some doctors put limiting beliefs on me: ‘You’ll never be how you were before’ and ‘the cancer will come back.’
My response was consistent. Consistently angry. Sorry … who are you to tell me who I am and what I can do? Why are you tearing me down instead of encouraging me to rebuild?
My mindset was the driving force behind that response. I’ve always been able to find positives in a situation (eventually – not always on the spot!), whether it’s at work or home, and my technique if I find myself going down dark holes is to remind myself, I have a choice in how I respond to the situation. To work out how I can make it better in the fastest time possible.
Sometimes that involves doing creative things with parameters but I always get there in the end!
What really concerns me is how people without a strong mindset can buy into what they’re told—or the disaster that they expect to happen—whereas they really need to be taught to reject limiting beliefs. To make decisions which support not deplete them. To not buy into other people’s stuff.
Good mindset is an attitude. Here’s six signs you have a good mindset:
- You take responsibility. This is a huge indicator of where your mind is at. You take responsibility for the good the bad and the ugly! If you are a constant excuse maker, finger pointer or victim, this is a clear sign that your mindset isn’t where it needs to be.
- You’re not looking for things to be perfect because let’s face it, it won’t be! Often people just want things to be all rainbows and unicorns and feel let down and angry when it’s not. Or you feel rejected and sorry for yourself if someone lets you down. It’s fine to feel a particular way for a bit but you know that you can’t control anyone else but you. So how you handle situations is key.
- You’re making decisions to support yourself to be the best person that you can be. Ask if you’re doing things that are in alignment with your priorities and values both professionally and personally. Are you making really good decisions for you, or are you a people pleaser? If making others happy becomes your ultimate driver, things need to change around here.
- The people around you are quality. If you’re attracting those who are supportive, who elevate and champion you, who will call you on your sh*t and challenge your thinking – this is a really strong sign you have a good mindset.
- You embrace challenge and step outside of your comfort zone. You know it’s the grit which makes the pearl in the oyster. Anyone can have an easy life. You embrace challenge and ugliness to achieve your goals.
So how’s your mindset? Would love to know your thoughts or if you have any other good mindset checkpoints.